Safe Routes To School Program (SRTS)
The Safe Routes To School program has one main goal to improve the health of kids and the community by making walking and bicycling to school safer, easier and more enjoyable. Improvements include building sidewalks and paths, educate students and drivers about safe travel, and encourage walking and bicycling to school.
For more information on SRTS:
- Call 1-877-935-SAFE (7233) OR
- Check out the Montana Department of Transportations home page for information on SRTS at OR
- Contact Laura Erikson at 447-8383.
- Yearly application deadline is December 31st.
October Bike Walk to School Challenge: Learn More…
How it works
- Students and Faculty register to participate in the Challenge through the website BikeWalkHelena.org
- Challenge other students and/or teachers to participate. The more participants, the better the challenge!
- Participants bike or walk to school at least 1 day per week. Of course, the more days you commute, the more points you score for your team!
- Each participant logs his/her daily trips to and from school via BikeWalkHelena.org
- You will see how your school ranks against other participating schools!
What counts as a bike/walk commute?
- Biking (non-motorized) or walking both ways to school.
- Biking or walking one way to school and the other way by another mode.
- Biking or walking part way to school by pairing with transit, driving, or any other mode.
Walk or bike at least one day a week and earn a charm. See how many you can collect! There will be a final drawing for some other great prizes, too! More details to come.